Preheat oven to 210°C
- Decrease the amount of water on the packet mix by about 20ml, so the mixture is not runny.
- Mix and leave for five minutes to absorb the water.
- Form the dough into a baguette shape on a lined baking sheet. Make cuts about ⅔ of the way through along the length of the loaf.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Fill the cuts with garlic butter or oil (see below) and place back in the oven for a further 8 - 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack
Finely grate or crush three cloves of garlic add 1 tsp of Italian, French or English herb mix (depends which you have in the cupboard and which you prefer) mix with
EITHER … 100g softened unsalted butter… mix completely and spread in the slots with a knife. Continue to final bake
OR … 100ml olive oil … mix completely and spoon or pour into the slots before the final bake
Zhuzh it up:
1. Add caramelised garlic to the mixture in addition to the above butter or oil.
- Chop three cloves of garlic into chunks (about the size of half a peanut).
- Warm some olive oil in a pan and add the garlic … don’t have the oil too hot or it and the garlic will burn easily. Simmer on a low heat until they look nice and golden, stirring regularly. This doesn’t take long, but the caramelised flavour is lovely. Too dark and all you’ll taste is burnt garlic, so slow and low is the idea.
2. Add a handful of grated cheese to the butter or oil mix before pouring into the slots.
3. Add a handful of grated cheese to the mixture before shaping and cooking.