Stale bread is essential here. We’ve created both a sweet and savoury version.
- 500g stale bread
- 550g mixed dried fruit
- 1 ½ tbsp mixed spice
- 600ml milk
- 2 large eggs
- 140g light muscovado sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 100g butter melted
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
- Tear the bread into a large mixing bowl and add the fruit and spice.
- Pour in the milk, then scrunch through your fingers to mix everything well and completely break up the bread.
- Add eggs, muscovado and lemon zest if using.
- Stir well, then set aside for 15 mins to soak.
- Heat oven to 180°C. Butter and line the base of a 20cm non-stick square cake tin.
- Stir the melted butter into the pudding mixture, tip into the tin, then scatter with demerara. Bake for 1½ hrs until firm and golden, covering with foil if it starts to brown too much.
- Turn out of the tin and strip off the paper. Cut into squares and serve warm.