- 2 tbsp butter
- 10 slices stale white bread, crusts removed and torn into 1-2cm pieces
- 150ml hot milk
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 eggs separated
- 200g Swiss cheese grated
- 1tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Butter a 2 litre soufflé or baking dish
- Place the bread in a shallow bowl and pour the milk over it. Set aside until the liquid is absorbed. Meanwhile, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Mash the bread with your hands or a spoon and stir in the onions.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne. Pour the mixture over the bread, stirring until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold them into the bread mixture in 3 additions. Transfer to the soufflé dish and bake in oven until golden and firm, 45 to 50 minutes.