Stale bread is great for dunking in this tasty, gooey mixture.
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 400 ml dry white wine
- 450g Gruyere cheese grated
- 450g Vacherin Fribourgeois grated
- Half tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp corn flour or rice flour
- Bread for dipping
- Rub the garlic around the inside of a ceramic or heavy saucepan, then remove the pieces
- Add the wine and warm it over low heat.
- Start by SLOWLY adding the cheese and stir vigorously, but slowly, IN ONE DIRECTION only. The cheese will start to melt.
- When the molten cheese becomes uniform in consistency, add the nutmeg, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Stir together the corn flour and a little water. Add to the fondue, to thicken slightly. This is an important step.
- If the fondue is too liquid, add more corn flour, mixed with a few drops of water. If too thick, add more wine.
- Cut the bread in pieces (crusty bread is best) and dunk away!