What’s not to love about grilled cheese on a chunky slice of bread? Pop that on top of a steaming bowl of French onion soup to soak up the delicious flavours and you’ll be hooked.
- 1.5 KG onions
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- Half tsp salt
- Half tsp round black pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 litres beef or vegetable stock
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 crusty loaf sliced
- Grated cheese mix (we recommend gouda, parmesan, gruyere)
- Chop the onions.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large pan
- Crush and peel the garlic. Caramelize the garlic in the olive oil and butter.
- Pour in the onions, season with salt and pepper, and stir just until the onions are coated in the oil and butter.
- Add in the fresh thyme and the bay leaf and let the onions caramelise, about 20 minutes. You want the heat lowish for this, to avoid crispy onions
- Once the onions are caramelised and have cooked down, pour in the stock
- Then, pour in the wine and simmer, uncovered, for at least an hour and as much as three hours, tasting occasionally to adjust the flavours.
- Toast the bread; you can rub both sides with a cut clove of garlic first, if you like. You'll want 2 pieces of bread per person - one for the bottom of the bowl, and one for on top. Add grated cheese and grill
- TO SERVE: drop a toast slice in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle in the soup and cover with a second slice of toast.