- 700g ripe tomatoes
- 10cm piece of cucumber peeled and chopped
- 3 spring onions peeled and chopped
- 2 slices stale white bread chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- half a large red pepper chopped
- about 12 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- chopped red pepper
- chopped cucumber
- chopped spring onions
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Croutons (see recipe here)
- Place tomatoes ina bowl and cover with boiling water. After a couple of minutes the skins should loosen. Remove from the water and peel. Scoop out the seeds and chop the flesh.
- Place tomatoes, cucumber, onions, garlic and red pepper in a liquidiser and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper, herbs and vinegar and chopped bread, then blitz again.
- Pour into a bowl and add a little cold water if too thick.
- Serve with finely chopped garnish, a couple of ice cubes in each portion and a drizzle of olive oil. This is also nice with homemade croutons on the side.