The ingredients here are almost the same as for gazpacho, but served with the juices soaking into the stale bread. This is best made a few hours before eating to let the flavours and juices mingle. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- 1 bunch basil chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1 medium cucumber diced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 100ml olive oil
- Half a loaf of crusty bread
- In a mortar and pestle (I've also done this with a knife!), bash together the garlic and basil with a pinch of salt to form a green paste.
- Toss your basil-garlic paste with cucumber, tomato, and lots of olive oil, and lemon juice. Place in the fridge for a few hours.
- Before serving, make croutons as the recipe on this site. Let them cool.
- Remove your salad from the fridge. Scoop out your vegetables and toss with croutons. Dress with the juice from the bottom of the bowl.