- 500 g stale diced bread
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 600ml full fat milk
- 100g chevre, finely crumbled
- 75g prosciutto, diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 shallot, minced
- 4 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 100g grated gruyere or parmesan
- Toast bread cubes in 180°C oven for 10 minutes or so, stirring halfway through. Leave oven on at 180°C.
- In a bowl, mix together eggs and milk until thoroughly blended.
- In a 20cm square baking pan, toss together bread cubes, prosciutto, shallot, mushrooms, thyme, and pepper.
- Stir in the chevre.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes.
- If desired, garnish with a shredded cheese such as parmesan or gruyere, for a golden crust.
- Bake in a 180°C oven for 40 minutes.